lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kurt Haegeman <kurt.haege...@mediargus.be>
Subject Re: Is Lucene relevant for big amount of small dynamic data?
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:43:52 GMT
emilien beucler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to implement a search tool, and I would like to know if Lucene
> could be used for my particular problem. Let's take an example:
>
> A hotel company has several hundreds of hotels around the world. for
> each hotel there are hundreds of rooms, whose price are constantly
> changing. The idea is to create a multi-criteria search tool to find a
> room. The pieces of information to store are all the same, they are
> something like: (room_size, number_of_stars, city, date_of_arrival,
> number_of_beds, price...)
> Let's says there are around 15 caracteristics, and about 5 millions
> pieces of information. The goal is to obtain a tool that:

None of the criteria you mention justifies the use of a full-text search
solution. If I were you (but I'm not), I'd stick to a relational
database for this project. Even if there's a small field or two with
searchable text data, the database itself could cope with this (Oracle
Text, MySQL full-text search etc...).

My 2 cents,
Kurt.