lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Byrne <john.by...@propylon.com>
Subject Re: Indexing puncuation and symbols
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:54:36 GMT
Whitespace analyzer does preserve those symbols, but not as tokens. It
simply leaves them attached to the original term.

As an example of what I'm talking about, consider a document that
contains (without the quotes) "foo, ".

Now, using WhitespaceAnalyzer, I could only get that document by
searching for "foo,". Using StandardAnalyzer or any analyzer that
removes punctuation, I could only find it by searching for "foo".

I want an analyzer that will allow me to find it if I build a phrase
query with the term "foo" followed immediately by ",". After all, the
comma may be relevant to the search, but is definitely not part of the
word.

Extending StandardAnalyer is what I had in mind, but I don't know where
to start. I also wonder why no-one seems to have done it before- it
makes me suspect that there's some reason I haven't seen yet that makes
it impossible ot impractical.