lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dave Golombek" <da...@blackducksoftware.com>
Subject Adding support for NOT NEAR construct?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:57:21 GMT
We've run into a situation where having "NOT NEAR" queries would really
help. I haven't been able to find any discussion of adding this to Lucene in
the past, so wanted to ask if people had any comments about it before I
started trying to make the change.

I've looked at NearSpansUnordered and it seems that reversing the logic in
atMatch() would go a long way towards implementation; NearSpansOrdered is a
bit harder, depending upon the exact semantics of "NOT NEAR" that we want to
implement. For queries, I was thinking that either "foo bar"~-10  or "foo
bar"!~10 might be reasonable; the former should be pretty easy to parse.

Does this sound reasonable? Something for contrib?

Thanks,
Dave Golombek
Senior Software Engineer
Black Duck Software, Inc.