lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From argh <a...@v0.net>
Subject use lucene as datastore?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:44:15 GMT

Hi,

I'm adding Lucene to an existing project where a daemon monitors a
frequently updated file system tree containing lots of expensive-to-parse
files for changes in order to keep cached metadata up to date about each
file.  (File writes unfortunately cannot be routed to allow for more
efficient change detection.)

Metadata is currently stored in a mirror directory tree as individual files
that are a trivial XML serialization of the same data that will soon be
indexed by Lucene.

I'm thus curious about the possibility eliminating the XML files altogether
and just using Lucene to store the metadata.  It seems like it could be a
big win on the complexity front.  My main concern lies with the time and
space efficiency of switching from implicit filename lookups to the
search-based model of "find the one document with the path field containing
/some/really/long/pathname".

This seems like a really common type of problem, but my searching didn't
turn up anything useful.  Pointers?  Thoughts?

Thanks...

-rg