lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Phillips" <scott.a.phill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Field rank?
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:14:13 GMT
Thank you Doron & Kyle,

You both pointed me in the right direction. For anyone finding this
thread in the email archive, here is what I've learned.

You can boost field weights either at indexing time or at query time.
For indexing time you call .setBoost(float) on the field before it has
been added to the document. Alternatively you can can provide a
HashMap of the field names & boosts at query time when using the third
pramater of the MultiFieldQueryParser.

In either case you must use the MultiFieldQueryParser to parse the
query, otherwise you'll only be searching against one specific index
and it won't matter what weight they are boosted by. In this case
you'll need to pass the parser all the possible search fields to
combine together. In effect this will run your query against each
index and then merge the results together. I am not sure of what
performance impact this will have.

Thanks,
Scott--