lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Phillips" <scott.a.phill...@gmail.com>
Subject Field rank?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:41:45 GMT
Hi everyone,

I have a question that I can't quite seem to find the answer to by
googling or searching the archives of this mailing list. The problem
is I would like to weight some fields more than others. Assume that I
have three fields: title, author, and default where title and author
contain there respective attributes and default contains all text
extracted from the document. When a user searches for 'foo' i would to
see at the top of the result list documents that contain 'foo' in the
title.

Looking through the archive I see i could re-craft my user's query as such:

(title: foo)^3 OR (author: foo)^2 OR (default: foo)

But this doesn't seem very elegant of a solution to the problem and
becomes more problematic as the number of fields increase. Also I'm
not sure if this is possible if the user entered more complex
queries...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott--