lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <>
Subject Re: norms(String field, byte[] bytes, int offset)
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:03:54 GMT

7 okt 2007 kl. 19.26 skrev Michael McCandless:

> I guess we could change the code to only load up until the end of
> the byte array that's passed in, but, that weakens the error checking?
> Ie if the intent is to "load all norms", it's nice to catch the error
> (that you passed in a too-small byte array) earlier rather than later.

If it was me that wrote that code, I'd have MultiWhatNot to validate and
throw the exception, if possible. But that's just me.

> Or maybe we could add a new method whose purpose is to load a subset
> of the norms?  Is there are particular use case behind this?

There is no use-case. I noticed this as a discrepancy between LUCENE-550
and the SegmentImplementation, and simply wondered why.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message