lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Question regarding proximity search
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 05:30:56 GMT

: I checked the lucene converted syntax (using Query.toString()) in both case
: and found the second one actually not converting to proximity query.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say...

using parens with a "~" character after it is not currently, and has never
been (to my knowledge) a means of creating a "proximity query".  It is not
documented in 2.2, 2.1, 2.0, 1.9, or 1.4.3.  It is not legal syntax in 2.2
(it causes a parse exception).  In lucene, the way to do proximity based
queries is either with SpanNearQueries, or with PhraseQueries -- the way
to create a PhraseQuery using hte Lucene QueryParser is with quote
character '"'

there is no reason why you should expect:  (cat dog)~3   to create a
proximity query.

-Hoss