lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Span queries and complex scoring
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:54:27 GMT

On Sep 17, 2007, at 6:51 AM, melix wrote:
> I've faced the very same problem with NearSpansOrdered and so on. I
> think
> unless there is a very good reason for it, classes should be made
> public,
> this would at least make the "delegate" design pattern available.

Lucene has historically taken the exact opposite approach... open up
the API as needed.  Unless there is very good reason for it, classes
and data should be kept private.

You bring up some points that need to be made to justify opening up
specific classes.  Sounds like a good discussion for the java-dev
list on a case by case basis.

	Erik