lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nikhil Chhaochharia <nikhil...@yahoo.com>
Subject Multiple Indices vs Single Index
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:50:27 GMT
Hi,

I have about 40 indices which range in size from 10MB to 700MB.  There are quite a few stored
fields.  To get an idea of the document size, I have about 400k documents in the 700MB index.

Depending on the query, I choose the index which needs to be searched.  Each query hits only
one index.  I was wondering if creating a single index where every document will have the
indexname as a field will be more efficient.  I created such an index and it was 3.4 GB in
size.  My initial performance tests with it are not conclusive.

Also, what are the other points to be addressed while deciding between 1 index and 40 indices.

I have 8GB RAM on the machine.

Thanks,
Nikhil