lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: regarding FieldSelector
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:49:20 GMT
Hi Mohammad,

The typical use cases are:
1. You have several small fields used in a results display and one or
two large fields (i.e. the original document) and you don't want to
pay the cost of loading the large fields for results display because
most of them won't be chosen.  When a result is chosen, the lazily
loaded field will be retrieved.

2. You only want to load certain fields, or the first field, or you
just want to know the size of a field.

Basically, it gives you control over how fields are loaded from disk
in Lucene.

See my ApacheCon Europe presentation http://cnlp.org/presentations/
slides/AdvancedLuceneEU.pdf for a few slides (towards the end) on
FieldSelector.

On Sep 12, 2007, at 5:13 AM, Mohammad Norouzi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone explain what is the FieldSelector and the usage or
> benefits of
> this structure? I read the javadocs but I can't get for what goal
> it is
> provided in Lucene.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --