lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jarvis" <ntts...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: About the search efficiency based on document's length
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:09:30 GMT
Storing data in a document will not affect search speed.

This is helpful .

And another question :)

When I make a search which will return 500000 results , it will be very
inefficient when I want to get the document between the No.450000 to
No.450010 or some back document . Why was it ? Or some solution ?

Thanks,
		Jarvis .

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Wettin [mailto:karl.wettin@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:45 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: About the search efficiency based on document's length

21 sep 2007 kl. 08.23 skrev Jarvis:

> There is a question about the document’s length and search efficiency.

> Two ways to index some html pages(ignore some information): one is
> both
> store and index the html content in lucene dictionary, the other is
> just
> index the content . For the first method is there a efficiency problem
> compare to the second besides the folder size increase?

Not sure I understand your question, but I'll give it a go.

As far as I know, storing data in a document will not affect search
speed. However, loading large amounts of data to a Document will of
course consume resources. Therefor it is possible to pass a
FieldSelector to the IndexReader when you retrieve a Document,
allowing you to define what fields to ignore, load, lazy load, et c.

I hope this helps.

--
karl