lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Byrne <john.by...@propylon.com>
Subject Wildcard vs Term query
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:48:17 GMT
Hi,

I'm working my way through the Lucene In Action book, and there is one
thing I need explained that I didn't find there;

While wildcard queries are potentially slower than ordinary term
queries, are they slower even if theyt don't contain a wildcard?
Significantly slower?

The reason I ask is that if we assume we are going to allow wildcards in
a search engine, but we want to optimize, to take advantage of  when
they are NOT used, do we have to check for the presence of "*" or "?" in
the term, and create the most appropriate query, or can I assume that
when a wildcard is not present, the WildcardQuery will be as fast (or
almost as fast) a a plain term query?

Thanks in advance!
John B.