lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: thread safe shared IndexSearcher
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:54:21 GMT
Agreed. Perhaps I will abandon the static init. I really only put it as
an option due to your synchronized cost concerns (a preload allows non
synched read only access to the indexaccessor cache). Due keep in mind
that you don't have to use it though...if you dont preload, accessors
are created on demand but require you to go through a synch block.

I have some ideas and I will be making an attempt to smooth this all out
tonight. Thanks for your input.

- Mark

Jay Yu wrote:
> I agree with you on the compromise aspect of the design.
> In particular, I think it's hard to preload all the index accessors in
> the static init while allowing users specify the analyzer for each dir
> without requiring complicated config file ans using reflection.
> So a good compromise might be abandon preload the accessors. After
> all, the accessors are cached and not created often.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jay
>

> Mark Miller wrote:
>> I think its just a compromise in the design, though it could be
>> improved. You only ever want a single Writer at a time on the index.
>> Those two flags are really just hints for when a Writer is first
>> opened...should it auto-commit and should it overwrite/create...if a
>> thread tries to writer concurrently with another thread, they will
>> briefly share a Writer, but generally a new Writer is created fairly
>> often.
>>
>> The general strategy should be to pick constant values and always
>> pass them. There is an opening for the issue that you have a Writer
>> and are adding a doc, and then before releasing that Writer, another
>> Writer from another thread tries to clear the index with a
>> create=true, and it won't work. That's not a big concern though.
>>
>> So the problem really is that these params control what happens when
>> a new writer is created, but your not guaranteed to be creating a
>> Writer, it may be cached. You really should pass the same autocommit
>> flag , though its not necessary. I am open to suggestions for a more
>> coherent design, but functionally, it does work. I am also thinking
>> about how to handle the Analyzer, and I think the solution (the need
>> to init some indexaccessor params) might involve all these issues.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> Jay Yu wrote:
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> Looking at your implementation of the DefaultIndexAccessor regarding
>>> the writer, I think there could be a problem: you have only one
>>> cached writer but the getWriter(boolean, boolean) allows 2 booleans,
>>> so ideally, you need 4 cached writer. Otherwise if one starts with a
>>> writer that over writes the existing index, then later he cannot
>>> append docs to the index.
>>> Do I miss sth here or you have not finished the implementation of
>>> getWriter yet?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jay

Id