lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael J. Prichard" <michael_prich...@mac.com>
Subject highlighting and fragments
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:38:27 GMT
Hello Folks,

I wanted to stay away from storing text in the indexes in order to keep
them smaller.  I have a requirement now though to provide highlighting
and, more so, fragments of the content so they will be displayed on the UI.

Do you all prefer to store the text in the index to make this easier or
would you suggest retrieving the text from the source after doing your
search.  From I can tell you need to run through the Hits anyway....

I am trying to keep the indexes as small as possible (they are still
HUGE...but...) so storing fields is not really what I want to do.  I
will if it is the best and most efficient way to do so.

Thanks,
Michael