lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Zach Bailey <zach.bai...@hannonhill.com>
Subject Re: Lucene implmentation question
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:13:59 GMT
I am a little suspicious of your classpath, still. You are using ',' to
delimit classpath entries, and from my experience generally this
character should either be ';' (windows) or ':' (*nix).

You can easily discover this character by rolling a quick java program
containing the following line:

System.out.println( System.getProperty( "path.separator" ) );

Cheers,
-Zach

warnockm wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  I tried your suggestion of including the .jar files
> individually in the classpath, but i didn't have any luck:
>
> [root@localhost ~]# java -cp
> /usr/java/default/lib/lucene-core-2.2.0.jar,/usr/java/default/lib/lucene-demos-2.2.0.jar
> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles /opt/lucene/src/
> org/apache/lucene/demo/IndexFiles
>
> Is there a way to browse or query the included classes to see what's there
> and what's missing?
>

> Raymond Kroeker-2 wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>   You'll want to point the classpath to the lib files and not their
>> containing folder ie:
>>
>> java_dir/lib/core.jar:java_dir/lib/demo.jar
>>
>> Raymond
>>
>> On 9/19/07, warnockm <matt@warnockinc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This sounds like a simple problem but i cannot for the life of me figure
>>> it
>>> out.  Am running Fedora 7, JDK 1.6, and Tomcat 6.0 (although not being
>>> used
>>> for this).  I download Lucene and followed the instructions that said to
>>> place the core and demo .jar files in my classpath.  My classpath is set
>>> java_dir/ and java_dir/lib.  I placed the .jar files in
>>> java_dir/lib.  Next,
>>> i made sure my JAVA_HOME was set.  I then tried running the example under
>>> the "Get started", which included indexing a folder from the shell.  I
>>> ran
>>> the command:
>>>
>>> java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles /opt/lucene/src/
>>>
>>> and got the following response:
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles
>>>    at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.8rh)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles not found in
>>> gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=
>>> [file:/usr/java/default/,file:/usr/java/default/lib/],