lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Vasilev <ivasi...@sirma.bg>
Subject Treating values of numeric fields as numbers
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:19:58 GMT
Hi All,

I have made some changes in my Lucene source, so that values of numeric
fields to be treated as numbers but not as Strings. After testing
everything seems to work correctly, but I still would like to know your
opinion about this.
So my approach is the following:

1. As during the indexing process the terms are ordered according their
values I made changes in the methods TermBuffer.compareTo(TermBuffer
other) and Term.compareTo(Term other) so that when the filed contains
numeric data comparison to be made based on numeric logic
(Integer.compareto(..), Float.compareTo(..)). So this orders terms based
on numeric logic but not based on lexicographical one.

2. To work correctly range searches similar changes were made in
RangeFilter.bits(IndexReader reader) and RangeQuery.rewrite(IndexReader
reader) methods.

Changes seem to be very simple, but I did not found case when they lead
to wrong behavior.
Before these changes to make range queries on numeric fields I made
values of those fields with fixed length so that the lexicographical
order to be the same like the numeric one. So I had to keep dates in
some fields and I made them 13 length fields that keep UTC
representation of the date. When the UTC was short I prefixed it with
zeroes. This made range searches to work correctly for the time interval
1970 - 2280 approximately. Now with the new implementation I do not have
any restrictions about this time interval.

So before some time I digged in Lucene forum and saw there were some
discussions about this. So if anybody uses also such approach, or have
bad experience with it, please tell me.
Tanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ivan