lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: regarding FieldSelector
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:53:55 GMT
Well, it depends on what "improve the search process" means
in your context <G>..

But I had a case similar to yours that I wrote up in the Wiki where
my search times improved about 10X by using lazy loading. You
might want to read that entry here...

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/FieldSelectorPerformance

Note the peculiar characteristics of my data set, I really suspect
that a 10x improvement in retrieval speed is atypical...

As for when lazily-loaded fields actually get loaded, I didn't really
have to explore it very fully, but a short experiment should do it
for you.....

Best
Erick