lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: a query for a special AND?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:05:43 GMT
On Thursday 20 September 2007 07:29, Mohammad Norouzi wrote:
> Sorry Paul I just hurried in replying ;)
> I read the documents of Lucene about query syntax and I figured out the what
> is the difference
> but my problem is different, this is preoccupied my mind and I am under
> pressure to solve this problem, after analyzing the results I get, now I
> think we need a "group by" in our query.
>
> let me tell you an example: we need a list of patients that have been
> examined by certain services specified by the user , say service one and
> service two.
>
> in this case here is the correct result:
> patient-id              service_name               patient_result
> 1                             s1                                12
> 1                             s2                                13
> 2                             s1                                  41
> 2                             s2                                22
>
> but for example, following is incorrect because patient 1 has no service
> with name service2:
> patient-id              service_name               patient_result
> 1                             s1                                12
> 1                             s3                                13

That depends on what you put in your lucene documents.
You can only get complete lucene documents as query results.
For the above example a patient with all service names
should be indexed in a single lucene doc.

The rows above suggest that the relation between patient and
service forms the relational result. However, for a text search
engine it is usual to denormalize the relational records into
indexed documents, depending on the required output.

Regards,
Paul Elschot