lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Span queries and complex scoring
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:05:25 GMT
Cedric,

In case your requirements allow this, try and use subclass of Spans
that has a score() method that returns a value that is used together
with the other span info to provide a score value to your own
SpanScorer at the top level.
This score value can summarize the influence of the individual
span scores of the subqueries.
For this you will need to change the whole span package, but
it is somewhat simpler than using a complete Scorer for each
SpanQuery in the query tree.

With a lot of nested SpanOrQueries, merging the Spans can become
a performance bottleneck. The current situation can be improved
by creating a specialized PriorityQueue for Spans, much like the
ScorerDocQueue that is used by DisjunctionSumScorer.
With this, it is possible to avoid SpanOrQuery by using term payloads
to compute the score value for the Spans of a SpanTermQuery,
but iirc the payloads are not yet in the trunk.

Regards,
Paul Elschot

http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Lucene-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/lucene/search/package-summary.html#changingScoring