lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Berlin Brown" <berlin.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Indexing in pieces?
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 02:52:08 GMT
So I am assuming that is not just a matter of "indexing" to that same
directory as you "indexed" before.

So, based on what you are saying, you would have to reload the
When I mean "index", I am talking about actually invoking lucene to
merge the content.

For example, it isnt just a matter of indexing to index_dir_old and
then to index_dir_new and then copying the lucene index files into
another directory index_dir_cur.

On 8/31/07, Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you can simply change you sql to select only the recently updated
> messages, and add to your existing index. Although adding to an existing
> large index also takes a long time, it should be quicker than re-building
> the whole index.
>
> If your index continues to grow, you may need to have a dedicated server for
> indexing and searching.
>
> --
> Chris Lu
> -------------------------
> site: http://www.dbsight.net
> demo: http://search.dbsight.com
> Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes:
> http://wiki.dbsight.com/index.php?title=Create_Lucene_Database_Search_in_3_minutes
>
> On 8/31/07, bbrown <bbrown@botspiritcompany.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been fine with my database (discussion forum) to lucene.  I am
> > taking
> > the simplest approach, eg; I have a discussion forum which are just text
> > messages, I take those out of the databse and then index the content.
> >
> > I am having troubling because I have hundreds of thousands of messages and
> > it
> > takes a while, eating my server cpu.  I was thinking I would just index
> > say a
> > portion of the database.  For example, index records 1-100 and then
> > 101-200.
> > Can I just index to that index directory without deleting the existing
> > segment files that are already there?  Or is it more complicated than
> > that.
> >
> > --
> > Berlin Brown
> > [berlin dot brown at gmail dot com]