lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Question on custom scoring
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:50:18 GMT
: document in the scoring formula, and I thought the CustomScoreQuery would be
: useful, but I am realizing that it may not be easy because the "relevance"
: score from Lucene has no absolute meaning. The relevance score could be 5 or
: 500 and there is no way for me gauge what that number means and how much I
: should weigh he "popularity" value relative to it when computing the custom

it's definitely tricky, and not something that can be decided universally
regardless of your data (or query structure) -- like all "fuzzy" logic you
have to try lots of different use cases and find something that works
well.  And yes, you have to re-evaluate your choices over time sa you
index changes.

-Hoss