lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Performance improvements using writer.delete vs reader.delete
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 05:43:06 GMT
Andreas Knecht wrote:

> We're considering to use the new IndexWriter.deleteDocuments call rather
> than the IndexReader.delete call.  Are there any performance
> improvements that this may provide, other than the benefit of not having
> to switch between readers/writers?
>
> We've looked at LUCENE-565, but there's no clear view of performance
> enhancements over the old IndexReader call.

I think Yonik's comment in 565 holds here -
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-565#action_12432155
- if your application is buffering deletes/updates and
then batch the deletes you probably won't see a large
improvement. But if your application does not buffer
the deletes and does not batch them, then I believe
moving to IndexWriter.delete() (and update()) should
buy you performance improvement, because IndexWriter
would now buffer the deletes for you.