lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From karl wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amount of RAM needed to support a growing lucene index?
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:09:13 GMT

12 aug 2007 kl. 09.03 skrev lucene user:

> If I have an index with 111k articles and 90 million words indexed,
> how much
> RAM should I have to get really fast access speeds?
>
> If I have an index with 290k articles and 234 million words
> indexed, how
> much RAM should I have to get really fast access speeds?

Define really fast.

I say you need 1.3x as much RAM as the size of your FSDirectory to
ensure that the file system cache is never flushed out. But it also
depends on user load. Each thread consumes RAM and CPU.

In order to really find out, setup the benchmarker to run on your
index, and limit the amount of memory your file system chache and JVM
is allowed.

> Any other advice about sizing a server?
> What other info do you need to have to help size the server?

Sizing?

> Does it matter if the server has a 64 bit processor?

In a 64 bit environment a reference to an instance consumes twice as
much RAM as in a 32 bit environment. It should not affect a file
centric Lucene store (Directory), Your OS and your application that
use Lucene might be consuming some more resources though. Again,
benchmark.

> Speed of processor important?

Yes.

> Speed of disks?

May or may not be intersting depending on how much RAM you have.

--
karl