lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rank based on lists.
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:40:44 GMT

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Walt Stoneburner wrote:

> Grant,
>
>   Thanks for pointing me at the DisjunctionMaxQuery, though you're
> correct, this is close but not exactly what I want.
>
>   I think the difference lies in that it's not which subexpression had
> the greater score, but that a normally lower scoring document should
> get its rank elevated because it appears in the results of different
> subexpressions.
>
>   Suppose I have three queries and in each case I got the same
> document back with a result of 0.000001.
>
>   While in the context of any given query, the document in totally
> insignificant.
>
>   However, for my use case, because it showed up in all three queries,
> this has substantial meaning to me, and it now becomes the most
> important document.

Do you know which subqueries this should happen for or is it just any
three subqueries out of X number of queries?  And how do you know it
showed up in the three queries?  Are you running the queries separately?

Could you provide an example or two of your queries?

>   I'd ideally like to have the union of all the query results
> returned, but with my document ranked at the top.
>
>   I'm getting this sinking feeling of post-processing a returned
> Hits list.

Sounds that way to me, but maybe if you got creative you could create
your own Query, but don't hold me to that.  Do try to fill us in with
more info on what you are doing, as there might still be a solution
out there...

Cheers,
Grant

Grant Ingersoll