lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ridwan Habbal <ridwanhab...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: IndexReader deletes more that expected
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:01:22 GMT
Yes, you are right, thanks for the great reply! I skimmed it so quickly today, so re-read it
now, and got the point you mean. I just tried Lucene 2.2.0 (I was using 2.0.0) and i could
do add, delete and update docs so smoothly! Based on my tests i did so far, similar to tests
I presented in my first email, that i don't have to worry who added and who deleted, and i
can get rid of Synchronized java methods ant lead to so slow app performance.

I kept maintaining only one open instance of indexWrtier for the whole app. As i stated b4,
i suffered of having lock exception. I use flush() instead of close(). In contrast, I create
new IndexSearcher instance every time i search. I dislike to open and close then reopen the
index searcher over and over. I don't use Indexreader directly anymore, since i do have to
use it indirectly using IndexSearcher. I won't try IndexModifier since you told me that IndexWriter
in 2.2.0 is much better.
Do you think i'm doing good this way i use IndexWriter (one instance for the whole app)?

One thing still remaining pending, however I need compass guys for it, is that they do use
the new version of lucene or not yet.. i will check with them anyways. I can't have two different
versions of jars for the same classes in same package.

Final question, I still haven't seen Solr in details, but is it strongly recommended to use
it when i have webapps?

please write back!

cya

Rid

> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:14:04 -0400> From: markrmiller@gmail.com> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: IndexReader deletes more that expected> On 8/1/07, Ridwan Habbal <ridwanhabbal@hotmail.com>
wrote:>>  but what about runing it on mutiThread app like web application?  There>
you are the code:  If you are targeting a multi threaded webapp than I strongly suggest youlook
into using either Solr or the LuceneIndexAccessor code. You will wantto use some form of reference
counting to manage your Readers and Writers. Also, you can now use IndexWriter (Lucene 2.0
and greater I think) todelete. This allows for efficient mixing of deletes and adds by bufferingthe
deletes, and then opening an IndexReader to commit them later. This ismuch more efficient
than IndexModifier. - Mark
PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HMWL_mini_pcmag_0707