lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucille, a (new) Python port of Lucene
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:21:05 GMT
Not to mention Lupy.

Hasn't it been relatively well-established that trying to create a
performant search engine in a dynamic interpreted language is a show-
stopper?  After several failed ports of lucene (I can add to this my
own, unreleased, attempt) I just don't see the point, except as an
academic exercise.   This is true even with selective optimization in
c.  I think that the core engine needs to be in c/java to achieve
feasibility--there's nothing stopping a cool dynamic language
wrapping the core (see Lucy).

good luck,
-Mike