lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From duidu...@web.de
Subject Re: getting term offset information for fields with multiple value entiries
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:44:20 GMT

Hello community, dear Grant

I have build a JUnit test case that illustrates the problem - there, I try to cut
out the right substring with the offset values given from Lucene - and fail :(

A few remarks:

In this example, the 'é' from 'Bosé' makes that the '\w' pattern don't matches -
it is recognized, unlike in StandardAnalyzer - as delimiter sign.

Analysis: It seems that Lucene calculates the offset values by adding a virtual
delimiter between every field value.
But Lucene forgets the last characters of a field value when these are
analyzer-specific delimiter values. (I seem this because of DocumentWriter, line
245: 'if(lastToken != null) offset += lastToken.endOffset() + 1;)'
With this line of code, only the end offset of the last token is considered - by
forgetting potential, trimmed delimiter chars.

Thus, solving would be:
1. Add a single delimiter char between the field values
2. Substract (from the Lucene Offset) the count of analyzer-specific delimiters
   that are at the end of all field values before the match

For this, someone needs to know what a delimiter for an specific analyzer is.

The other possibility of course is to change the behaviour inside Lucene, because
the current offset values are more or less useless / hard to use (I currently have
no idea how to get analyzer-specific delimiter chars).

For me, this looks like a bug - am I wrong?

Any ideas/hints/remarks? I would be very lucky about :)

Greetings

Christian