lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Zach Bailey <zach.bai...@hannonhill.com>
Subject Re: Clustered Indexing on common network filesystem
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:33:38 GMT
Thanks for your response --

Based on my understanding, hadoop and nutch are essentially the same
thing, with nutch being derived from hadoop, and are primarily intended
to be standalone applications.

We are not looking for a standalone application, rather we must use a
framework to implement search inside our current content management
application. Currently the application search functionality is designed
and built around Lucene, so migrating frameworks at this point is not
feasible.

We are currently re-working our back-end to support clustering (in
tomcat) and we are looking for information on the migration of Lucene
from a single node filesystem index (which is what we use now and hope
to continue to use for clients with a single-node deployment) to a
shared filesystem index on a mounted network share.

We prefer to use this strategy because it means we do not have to have
two disparate methods of managing indexes for clients who run in a
single-node, non-clustered environment versus clients who run in a
multiple-node, clustered environment.

So, hopefully here are some easy questions someone could shed some light on:

Is this not a recommended method of managing indexes across multiple nodes?

At this point would people recommend storing an individual index on each
node and propagating index updates via a JMS framework rather than
attempting to handle it transparently with a single shared index?

Is the Lucene index code so intimately tied to filesystem semantics that
using a shared/networked file system is infeasible at this point in time?

What would be the quickest time-to-implementation of these strategies
(JMS vs. shared FS)? The most robust/least error-prone?

I really appreciate any insight or response anyone can provide, even if
it is a short answer to any of the related topics, "i.e. we implemented
clustered search using per-node indexing with JMS update propagation and
it works great", or even something as simple as "don't use a shared
filesystem at this point".

Cheers,
-Zach