lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jami Kapla <jka...@quimbik.com>
Subject Help Regarding Fuzzy Scoring
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:08:41 GMT
Hello,

I have been using Lucene recently (newbie) and reading about scoring.
However, have a result that of course still does not make sense to me.

I have an index created from a single field (entree) in one table in
my DB.
I Index it with the StandardAnalyzer.

I also Query it with the StandardAnalyzer as simple as possible like:

             QueryParser qp = new QueryParser("title", new
StandardAnalyzer());
             org.apache.lucene.search.Query query = qp.parse( qStr );
             hits = searcher.search( query );

Here is the possible responses that I know are in the index.

Chicken
Lemon chicken
Chicken parmesan
Chicken marsala
Chicken cordon blue
Chicken and dumplings
chickpeas
Bbq chicken
Garlic chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Chlcken picatta

If qStr="Chicken" thus basic TermQuery it works as expected and
returns the result:

Chicken  			score=0.99999994   (sort of thought this would be 1.0 but
at least it found and scored the right one)
Lemon chicken 		score=0.625Chicken parmesan	score=0.625
.... so on

However, if I make it a Fuzzy search by setting qStr="Chicken~" the
results I get are

Chlcken picatta		score=1.0
Chicken 			score=0.4026232
Lemon chicken		score=0.2516395
Chicken parmesan	score=0.2516395
....so on

Most likely this is a lack of my understanding of the fundamentals
but I would think
it should come up with Chicken as the highest score still considering
it is an exact match.

Any clue as to why this is is greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I am still reading docs and searching the web.

-Jami