lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to rename fields in an index
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:02:40 GMT
Unless it's really, really, really prohibitive or impossible,
I'd recommend regenerating your index. Messing around in
the low-level file formats is just asking for trouble. Not to
mention that you'll probably have to remanufcture your
index sometime, somewhere and hack all over again or
*hope* that your code changes would match your new
index. Whereas if you remanufacture with "kw", you'll
be sure things are consistent

Or worst of all, regenerate the index and have some other
poor soul try to figure out what the heck is going on with the
application. "It doesn't work whenever I search on the 'kw' field".

I guess, if I were looking at it, I'd have to say that either
making a new index so I could use "kw" rather than
"keyword" was valuable enough to remanufacture the
index or not valuable enough to do <G>...

Best
Erick