lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff French <>
Subject Re: Nested Fields
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:37:29 GMT

Spencer, it seems inefficient to me too, but that's pretty much what I did
for tables embedded within a document.

I used a SAX parser to parse the document and kept track of the table
elements I saw. When I received an endElement, I added the text I had
buffered up in the characters() method to the buffer for each parent
element. Then I removed the current element and added its content as a

I should add that I am also fairly new to Lucene, so just because I did it
that way doesn't mean it's the best or even a good way.

Spencer Tickner wrote:
> I'm fairly new to lucene so excuse the ignorance. I'm attempting to
> field an XML documents with nested fields. So:
> <foo>
>   <bar>This</bar>
>   <bat>That</bat>
> </foo>
> The only way I can see a way of doing this now is to field each
> element I want to field and all of it's descendant text, ...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message