lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: speedup indexing
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:24:49 GMT

"SK R" <rsk.sen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for this valuable informations.
>     I'm using Lucene2.1 now. Do I need to apply the patch  "LUCENE-843"
>     with
> existing one or i have to move the latest?

It's probably best to use a nightly build JAR of Lucene to play with
LUCENE-843.  But, please realize this is an unreleased version of
Lucene so "use at your own risk"!  You can get nightly builds here:

  http://people.apache.org/builds/lucene/java/nightly/

> Do i need to use flushByRam
> instead of flushbydoc to work with this patch?

You don't have to flush by ram to work with this patch; it's just that
doing so will get you best performance, when your docs have variable
sizes.  You could likewise set a large maxBufferedDocs instead (if docs
are typically the same size).  The idea is you can flush far less often
than you were before because LUCENE-843 greatly improves RAM
efficiency of buffered docs...

Mike