lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Baudoux ...@taktik.be>
Subject benefit of combining fields into one vs. booleanQuery
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:38:57 GMT
	Hi everyone,

	My question : i have medias with a "title" field and a "caption"
field and a "keywords" field.

I want to be able to search in those 3 fields at the same time. For
example, if i search "black car" the boolean query looks like this
combination of termqueries:

(title=black or keywords=black or caption=black) and (title=car or
keywords= car or caption= car).

So if "black" is in caption and "car" is in title I must find the media.

I'm afraid that those boolean queries will be slow when there are a
lot of terms in the query.

I can, at index time add a "fulltext" field to each media that will
contains title, caption and keywords concatenated.

the query becomes :  (fulltext=black and fulltext=car), much simpler.

But i must still be able to search only in title or only in caption
or only in keywords, so I must still add the other fields, doubling
the indexed terms.

Has someone done a similar thing? Is it worth it, or will the First
boolean query remain fast enough?

Thx,

Antoine

--