lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sonu SR" <son...@gmail.com>
Subject Question regarding boolean query
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:49:27 GMT
Hi,

    I am getting different results for the following queries.

   1. ABST:"spring-elastic"^3 AND SPEC:"internal combustion"^2 OR
ABST:"cylinder"^3
   2. SPEC:"internal combustion"^2 AND ABST:"spring-elastic"^3 OR
ABST:"cylinder"^3

I think the above two queries are similar and will give the same results.
I want to know the order of boolean operators. Is there any grouping is
applied when fields repeats in the query?

By applying the queries to lucene QueryParser, I got the results as

   1. +ABST:"spring elastic"^3.0 SPEC:"internal combustion"^2.0ABST:cylinder^
3.0
   2. +SPEC:"internal combustion"^2.0 ABST:"spring elastic"^3.0ABST:cylinder^
3.0

I have set the QueryParser operator as 'AND'.  I was confused by looking on
the QueryParser output.
Please give me a good explanation, how lucene handling the boolean queries.

Thanks,
Sonu