lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jong Kim" <j...@sitescape.com>
Subject Stop-words comparison in MoreLikeThis class in Lucene's contrib/queries project
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:12:08 GMT
Hi,

The MoreLikeThis class in Lucene's contrib/queries project performs noise
word filtering based on the case-sensitive comparison of the terms against
the user-supplied stopwords set.

I need this comparison to be case-insensitive, but I don't see any way of
achieving it by extending this class. I would have created a subclass of
MoreLikeThis and override the isNoiseWord() method. However, the problem is
that, neither isNoiseWord() method nor the instance variables referenced
inside that method are declared protected. They are all private. Has anyone
solved this problem without modifying and building MoreLikeThis class
directly?

An alternative approach would be to supply a stopwords list containing all
variants of the stop words with all possible mixed cases. Needless to say,
that isn't likely to be a workable solution for many.

Ultimately it would be nice if those methods and variables would have been
made protected so that applications could override some of the default
behaviors without having to modify the class directly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
/Jong