lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index partitioning by term
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 21:37:43 GMT
On 4-Jul-07, at 5:31 AM, Ndapa Nakashole wrote:

> I am considering using Lucene in my mini Grid-based search engine.
> I would
> like to partition my index by term as opposed to partition by
> document. From
> what i have read in the mailing list so far, it seems like
> partition by term
> is impossible with Lucene. am i right to conclude this! I know Nutch
> partitions by document, by in my environment of very limited
> bandwidth i
> would like to avoid partition by document.

Partitioning indices by term is an approach whose adoption (as far as
I am away) is limited to academic projects.  Further, it is much more
bandwdith intensive than the document partition approach (you have to
do term-posting list intersections across machines, instead of
locally).  With doc partitioning, you get the top X docs from each
server, using almost no bandwidth.

-Mike