lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Calling indexWriter.close() in web app
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:03:18 GMT
Hello,

> The lock file is only for Writers. The lock file ensures that
> even two
> writers from two JVM's will not step on each other. Readers
> do not care
> about what the writers are doing or whether there is a lock
> file...

Is this always true? The deleteDocuments method of the IndexReader will throw a LockObtainFailedException
when another writer has the index open.

It might be confusing that from a reader you can delete documents. IIRC, the thing above will
only hold when you only use a reader for reading.

Regards Ard