lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Calling indexWriter.close() in web app
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:28:03 GMT
Hello,

> I'm developing a web app with struts that need to embed lucene
> functionalities. I need that my app adds documents to the
> index after that a
> document is added (documents are very few, but of large
> size). I read that i
> have to use a single instance of indexwriter to edit the
> index. Suppose i
> use a singleton or store indexwriter in the application scope
> to grant all
> users to use that single instance.
> My questions are:
> - when i can close indexwriter to flush changes?

After you have added documents

> - How to know that an indexwriter has been closed before
> adding documents to
> it?

You are using probably a Singleton for it, so I suppose you are totally in charge wether it
has been closed or not. After closing you just set the Singleton indexWriter instance to null
after closing. Then, you open a new one when doing a getInstance on the Singleton.

> - What does it happen if users continue adding documents to
> the index after
> one user action closed it?

This obviously should not be possible. You should design your Singleton accordingly. Since
you are telling you have very few documents to be indexed, I would rely on synchronized static
functions for adding and deleting documents. If OTOH, you have many documents to add, for
performance reasons an index queue is adviseable

> Please help!

Regards Ard