lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <>
Subject RE: Indexing/Analyzer question - case-insensitive "contains" search
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:03:58 GMT

> > It does sound very strange to me, to default to a
> WildCardQuery! Suppose I
> > am looking for "bold", I am getting hits for "old".
> I know - but that's what the requirements dictate. A better
> example might be
> a MAC or IP address, where someone might be searching for a
> string in the
> middle - like, I might search for "102" to get "" and "
>" as results. you think that if you use StandardAnalyzer(), and you index a field with,
and then you use the queryparser [1] to search for "102", you do not get a hit? Lucene would
not have the status it has if it could not do this. Obviously, it depends on your analyzer
how the indexing is done exactly.

I disencourage you to use the WildCardQuery when it is not needed.

Regards Ard

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message