lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingers...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads and PhraseQuery
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:45:13 GMT
Yep, totally agree.    One way to handle this initially at least is
have isPayloadAvailable() only return true for the SpanTermQuery.
The other option is to come up with some modification of the
suggested methods below to return all the payloads in a span.

I have a basic implementation for just the SpanTermQuery (i.e. via
TermSpans) in the works.  I will take a crack at fleshing out the
rest at some point soon.

-Grant

On Jul 12, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Paul Elschot wrote:

> On Thursday 12 July 2007 14:50, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> That is off of the TermSpans class.  BTQ (BoostingTermQuery) is
>> implemented to extend SpanQuery, thus SpanNearQuery isn't, w/o
>> modification, going to have access to these things.  However, if you
>> look at the SpanTermQuery, you will see that it's implementation of
>> Spans is indeed the TermSpans class.  So, I think you could cast to
>> it or handle it through instanceof.
>>
>> I am not completely sure here, but it seems like we may need an
>> efficient way to access the TermPositions for each document.  That
>> is, the Spans class doesn't provide this and maybe it should
>> somehow.  Again, I am just thinking out loud here.
>
> SpanQueries can be nested, so the relationship between a span
> and a term position can also be one to many, not only one to one.
> For example a matching span in the Spans of a SpanNearQuery
> can be based on two matching (near enough to match) term positions.
>

>> Thus, if we modified Spans to have the following methods:
>>
>> byte[] getPayload(byte[] data, int offset)
>>
>> boolean isPayloadAvailable()
>>
>> I think this would be useful.  Perhaps this should be discussed on
>> dev.
>
> And the same holds for the payloads, there many be more than one
> for a single Span.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Elschot
>

>> Cheers,
>> Grant
>>

>> On Jul 12, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Peter Keegan wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for Spans.getPositions(), as shown in
>>> BoostingTermQuery, but
>>> neither NearSpansOrdered nor NearSpansUnordered (which are the Spans
>>> provided by SpanNearQuery) provide this method and it's not clear
>>> to me how
>>> to add it.
>>>
>>> Peter

>> Grant Ingersoll