lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tim Sturge <tstu...@metaweb.com>
Subject product based term combination for BooleanQuery?
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:51:59 GMT
I'm following myself up here to ask if anyone has experience or code
with a BooleanQuery that weights the terms it encounters on a product
basis rather than a sum basis.

This would effectively compute the geometric mean of the term score
(rather than the arithmetic mean) and would give me more "middle bias".
It also has the great advantage that it automatically implements AND (as
something without the term has a score of 0.0 which causes the query to
go to 0.0 as well.)

I'm curious though why this doesn't already exist. Is it a bad idea in
general (that I will discover once I implement it and look at the
results?) or does it make searching a lot slower?

Thanks,

Tim