lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org>
Subject Re: Recovering from a Crash
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:57:49 GMT
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:49:41AM -0400, Michael McCandless said:
> Ahhh, OK.  But do you have a segments_N file?

Yup.

> Yes, this is perfect.  This is the "simple" option I described.  The
> more complex option is to use a custom deletion policy which enables
> you to safely do backups (even if the copy process is slow) without
> pausing the write task (indexing).

I vaguely remember seeing something about that going past.

Is there any documentation on custom deletion policies? Or example code
for such a beast? At the moment at any given point we have to have disk
space to allow for 3x Index size - index, backup we've just taken and
previous backup we're just about to delete. Since our indexes are large
even 2x is quite an issue.

I've read through JIRA LUCENE-710 but a more point-and-drool explanation
would be useful to someone who hasn't been up all night :)

Simon