lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org>
Subject Re: Recovering from a Crash
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:33:03 GMT
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:19:31AM -0400, Michael McCandless said:
> It's somewhat spooky that you have a write.lock present because that
> means you backed up while a writer was actively writing to the index
> which is a bit dangerous because if the timing is unlucky (backup does
> an "ls" but before it can copy the segments_N file a commit has
> happened) you could fail to copy a segments_N file.  It's best to
> either pause the writer for backpus to occur (simplest) or make a
> custom deletion policy that safely allows the backup to slowly copy
> even while indexing is continuing (advanced).

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I took the backup of the state of
the index when the machine restarted after the crash. I did have another
backup from a day or so ago but I was hoping to not have to reindex a
days worth of data (which is alot).

Our backup strategy is currently -
1) Stop the writer (and let write tasks queue up)
2) cp -lr indexes indexes-<date>
3) Restart the writer

Is this something approximating best practice?

Simon