lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Recovering from a Crash
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:08:53 GMT

"Simon Wistow" <simon@thegestalt.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:49:41AM -0400, Michael McCandless said:
> > Ahhh, OK.  But do you have a segments_N file?
>
> Yup.

OK, though I still don't understand why the existence of "write.lock"
caused you to lose most of your index on creating a new writer.

> > Yes, this is perfect.  This is the "simple" option I described.  The
> > more complex option is to use a custom deletion policy which enables
> > you to safely do backups (even if the copy process is slow) without
> > pausing the write task (indexing).
>
> I vaguely remember seeing something about that going past.
>
> Is there any documentation on custom deletion policies? Or example code
> for such a beast? At the moment at any given point we have to have disk
> space to allow for 3x Index size - index, backup we've just taken and
> previous backup we're just about to delete. Since our indexes are large
> even 2x is quite an issue.
>
> I've read through JIRA LUCENE-710 but a more point-and-drool explanation
> would be useful to someone who hasn't been up all night :)

Good question ... there is no good documentation, sample code, etc.,
for this as of yet ... I've been secretly hoping the first person
who creates this deletion policy would share it :)  I don't think it's
very difficult to create.  If that doesn't happen sometime soon I'll
try to make time to create an example.

Mike