lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From muraalee <>
Subject Dictionary Type Lookup
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:40:25 GMT

I am trying to model a Dictionary Type Search in Lucene. My approach was

- Load the dictionary file ( words & their meanings ) and index each
dictionary term and associated meaning as a Lucene Document.
- Use IndexReader's term method to peek at the index and get the TermEnum.
TermEnum' next() return's the next term.

The snippet looks like this
  TermEnum browseTermEnum = indexReader.terms(new Term(browseIndex,

This works fine, and i can fetch next 'n' terms.
The only problem i see with this route is, i can't get the previous terms

1. Is there a way to get previous terms from TermEnum ?
2. Is there a better way to model Dictionary Type lookup in Lucene ?

Appreciate your suggestions ?

Murali V

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: