lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Renaud Waldura" <>
Subject RE: Question regarding boolean query
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:38:53 GMT
Yeah, it's a surprise, isn't it? I'm afraid there isn't a good answer.

The "best practice" appears to be to require parens everywhere to force the
evaluation order. Not very satisfying, but it does work 100%.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sonu SR []
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 8:49 AM
Subject: Question regarding boolean query

    I am getting different results for the following queries.

   1. ABST:"spring-elastic"^3 AND SPEC:"internal combustion"^2 OR
   2. SPEC:"internal combustion"^2 AND ABST:"spring-elastic"^3 OR

I think the above two queries are similar and will give the same results.
I want to know the order of boolean operators. Is there any grouping is
applied when fields repeats in the query?

By applying the queries to lucene QueryParser, I got the results as

   1. +ABST:"spring elastic"^3.0 SPEC:"internal
combustion"^2.0ABST:cylinder^ 3.0
   2. +SPEC:"internal combustion"^2.0 ABST:"spring
elastic"^3.0ABST:cylinder^ 3.0

I have set the QueryParser operator as 'AND'.  I was confused by looking on
the QueryParser output.
Please give me a good explanation, how lucene handling the boolean queries.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message