lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Guther" <andreas.gut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene index performance
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:00:18 GMT
Searching on multiple index files is incredible fast.  We have 10 different
index folders with different sizes.  All folders together have a size of 7
GB.  Results come back usual within less than 50 ms.  Getting results out of
the index i.e. reading documents is expensive and you will have to spent
time here to get a good performance.  You will need to look into
- Topdocs
- Extracting results in an ordered way, i.e. sort by index and within an
index by document id.  This will help to minimize disk head jumps and gave
me a tremendous boost.
- Extracting only what you need (using a special read filter I do not recall
the name right now and I do not have access to my sources at the moment of
writing this)

Andreas