lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Walt Stoneburner" <walt.stonebur...@gmail.com>
Subject The values which compute scores. - Part II
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:45:26 GMT
I've managed to build my own Similarity class, plug it in, and use
Explain to convince myself that I am, indeed, getting the correct
weightings that I desire.  My test case documents are yielding
precisely the intermediate values needed for alternate scoring.

There's just one thing...

When I do an .explain(), I'm getting values back for the fieldNorm()
that are improperly biasing my scores.

According to http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg06275.html,
this value is actually computed at index time.

Indeed, that is the case, for if I generate a new index using my
custom Similarity class, the bias disappears and all is right with the
world.

However, I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of maintaining a
second index.  Recall from the initial message that users will be
toggling between the standard scoring and the alternative.

And while, yes, I know that this value is precomputed and stored in
the index, what I'd like to be able to do is simply ignore it.

Somewhere the code that computes that big huge scoring equation has to
pull that value and use it.  I figure if I override -that-, I can
simply ignore the value and treat fieldNorm() as 1 when the custom
version is used.

Only problem is, I'm not sure if this is a property set somewhere, a
method override in a replacement class, or some more brain surgery on
my one-off version of Lucene.

Gurus, may I approach?

-wls