lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Several questions about scoring/sorting + random sorting in an image/related application
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:42:40 GMT

: Thats what i discovered. The question is : Is the ValueSourceQuery
: strong and fast enough to be
: used confidently in a production environment? I looked at the source

as i mentioned, i'm not intimately familiar with the new ValueSourceQuery,
but the FunctionQuery it's based on is certainly production quality.  I
use it all over the place.

: What's wrong with this idea :
: Each day i generate an shuffle a vector of Maxdoc integers from 0 to
: Maxdoc.
:
: Then i use a valueSource query with a valueSource that uses this
: vector to randomly score the documents.
: Of course I have to somehow normalize those random scores so that
: their "contribution factor" remains constant when MaxDocs increases.

well, that's a random fixed ordering per day ... a bit different then
random per search (much more cachable).

I also didn't realize you wanted the randomness to just be an added factor
in your orriginal query -- i thought this was a seperate "sort randomly"
side question.  your approach sounds like it it could work, but as you
say: there are complexities of keeping it balanced.

-Hoss